2020-10-29 at 11:08 am #10253
I was browsing through Mystic Universe and found the section about the modern practice of Vedic Astrology. There you point out that due to a lack of understanding of the deeper science behind astrology, we are only left with some tools which are applied in ad-hoc manner and that leads to incorrect predictions.
My question is related to how good/bad the current understanding is. Could we for eg., construct a double blind experiment and show that astrology can predict significantly better than random chance? And could we leverage this to bring about a scientific interest in karma and related concepts? I would really appreciate your thoughts related to this.
2020-10-29 at 12:33 pm #10254
There are many fundamental issues at the present:
- The method of planetary positions must be according to Surya Siddhanta, but mostly the Drik Siddhanta is used. The former talks about the true positions of planets in space, not the visible positions, as seen by our vision. For the most part, modern astrologers only use the Drik Siddhanta, which is based on the visible positions of the planets. This creates significant differences in all charts as planetary positions in the systems differ.
- Each planet has an innate nature, but these natures are changed as the planets move through the zodiac and Nakshatras. It is not the combination of the planet and the zodiac or Nakshatra that produces an effect. That is a mistaken idea and it assumes that a physical object is moving. The real thing is that the planet changes its nature itself. In effect, a planet in a different place is a different planet, and that change effects everything else.
- The order of the effects of planets is not understood properly. The Nakshatra are said to drag the sun, which drags the moon, and then are subsequent drags on the other five planets, namely, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, and Mercury. There is a specific order in which the effects must be prioritized, but this order is not used. As a result, many people say that the planets Sun and Moon become weaker or stronger as a result of other five planets, but that should not be the case according to the cosmological system.
- Rahu and Ketu are not visible from Earth, so they are assumed to be the North and South ‘nodes’ of the Lunar motion (i.e. the places where the moon’s orbit around the earth crosses the ecliptic). I haven’t studied this as well, but the role of Rahu and Ketu is very unclear.
- The concept of ‘dristi’ has no explanation in terms of cosmology. Why is one planet “looking” at another planet? There has to be a clear understanding of this. Accordingly, all strength calculations are based on some heuristics, without a real explanation.
The main point is that astrology has to be identical to cosmology. We cannot have special things happening in a chart that are not happening in the real world. But at present, cosmology says one thing, the chart assumes other things, and there is a limited understanding of what it means.
So, I’m not in favor of any types of experiments. We have to first understand cosmology, and then astrology will automatically become clear. Nothing extra is needed for astrology.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.