OMNISCIENCE OF GOD REVISITED

Forums Vedic Philosophy OMNISCIENCE OF GOD REVISITED

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Danakeli Dasi

I have learned in several writings on this site that in this world God knows beforehand what will occur, what roles will be played out, but He doesn’t know beforehand who will choose to play each of the roles. However, He omnisciently knows what is happening & by whom, as it happens.

I’ve heard that in the spiritual world God experiences every one of the infinite number of moments of His lilas simultaneously & eternally; He exists in each moment always. Yet Krishna in moment X doesn’t know what Krishna in moment X+Y is “going to” experience.

I’m seeking clarification on why this can’t also be the case in the material world. Why can’t God, in His sristi-lila, be in each moment simultaneously so that God in/at moment X doesn’t know who is going to do what in moment X+Y, though God in moment X+Y is experiencing that future in “real time,” or live. All moments would be experienced in real time, IOW.

This way the future of a particular soul is not predetermined, yet God outwits the law which says that the future may be accurately predicted but the actors cannot be. But perhaps material time is so different from spiritual time (in that each material moment is not eternal) that my idea is untenable?

Ashish Dalela

The soul is part of God in both material and spiritual worlds. But in the spiritual world the position of the soul as part of God is fixed. The soul is like the hand or leg. Once you fix the position, then each part’s behavior is well-known. The hand will behave in this way, the leg in a different way, etc. So, if positions are fixed, then their behavior is predictable. In the material world, the position is not fixed; the soul keeps moving, and the behavior is not predictable.

These positions are relational. To be in a certain position means to have a fixed relation. In the spiritual world, the relations are fixed. The friend doesn’t unfriend. The lover doesn’t stop loving. Once these relations are fixed, then everybody’s behavior is predictable. In the material world, the relations are always changing. So, the behavior is not predictable. Material time means two things: (a) change in relation, and (b) acting in that relation. The latter exists in the spiritual world, but the former doesn’t. So, due to activity through a fixed relation, there is experience of passing time. But because the relation is not changing, the future can be predicted.

To understand these things, a new notion of position is required, that is non-physical. I can move my hands and legs, without changing my relationship. When the soul serves God, he moves his hands and legs without changing the relationship. So, his position is considered fixed, even though he acts in that position. This movement of hands and legs is one type of change, and the change in relation is another kind of change. We don’t consider activity to be change in position. We say that each soul has a fixed ‘constitutional position’. This ‘position’ is a relation.

One of the important ways to advance science is this different idea of position, which is relational. It defines a role or function. There is activity due to role, but role doesn’t change. Impersonalists don’t understand this difference; they think that if something is changing then it is material. We are saying that the relationship is eternal, but in that relation there is activity.

This relation is called sambandha. The activity in that relation is abhidheya. In science, we think that all change is abhidheya because we don’t understand sambandha. But sambandha can be fixed even if there is abhidheya. In the material world, the sambandha is not fixed.

Danakeli Dasi

Thank you. This explanation of position, constitutional position, sambandha & abhidheya is satisfying.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topics

OMNISCIENCE OF GOD REVISITED

by Danakeli Dasi Time to read: 1 min